Wayne Thiebaud is an American artist associated with the Pop movement and he was famous for his paintings of cafeteria-style food. He used heavy pigment and lots of repetition in his artwork. I thought it would be fun for my students to draw some whimsical ice cream cones they could create with whatever color they desired.
- Hand out 9 X12 sheets of drawing paper.
- Make sure everyone has their own pencil and oil pastels. Oil pastels are great because their color is so rich and bright and the consistency is just a giant crayon!
- Encourage the students to color in their entire drawing, making sure to press down with the oil pastel so that the color is vivid and looks finished.
- The students can use multiple colors, they can create patterns and outline their backgrounds.
- Instruct students how to blend with oil pastels.
- Everyone had fun creating their own flavors and toppings.